head3 1027

mobile head 2

What Should I Do After An Auto Accident With An Impaired Driver?

Call The Cops:

Before you do anything else--- other than get yourself out of your car if you are in danger and making sure the other driver and other persons are out of immediate danger --- call the cops. You will need an accident report, and you will need to have an officer on the scene as soon as possible to assess the other driver. Once the police officer is on the scene, make your concerns known to the officer. She may decide to do a sobriety test on the other driver and note the findings in the incident report. The other driver's impairment can subject them to punitive damages and support a finding that he/she was at fault for the wreck. By calling 911 as soon as possible, you also ensure emergency help is on the way.

Take Photos:

Take as many photos/videos as possible of your car, the other person’s car, the road, and the other driver talking/moving if possible and if you truly believe they are under the influence. Take notice if the other driver tries to throw away or hide any items that may be incriminating (i.e., bottles, baggies, drugs, paraphernalia, etc.). This evidence might end up being critical to your case, either to assist early settlement or at trial. Of course, only get photos if you can safely do so.

Write Down Everything:

Make sure you write down the license plate of the other car, and the other driver’s insurance information. Also ask any witnesses who are standing around for their information, and make sure you have a reliable way of contacting them. Do not rely on the police officer to be able to obtain all of this information as he/she may be very busy at the scene -- especially if there are personal injuries and the other driver is suspected of impairment. Note if the police officer has a dash-cam and/or body-cam. Note if there are any cameras on poles near the accident or on buildings nearby. The witness' testimony and video footage might just critical to proving your case and improving your monetary recovery. Make notes of your observations at the scene. Provide these notes only to your accident injury lawyer.

Be sure that you recover for all of your present AND future medical expenses and pain and suffering resulting from your personal injury. The safest course is to consult with an Atlanta, Georgia personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The facts and evidence need to be secured immediately, and your medical condition needs to be carefully monitored. Contact the Law Office Of Sidney Weinstein, 24/7, for a free accident and personal injury consultation by calling 404-522-3108. We can come to you at your home or any of the Atlanta, Georgia area hospitals including Grady Memorial Hospital and Atlanta Medical Center.