Auto Impound Cost And Other Considerations After An Accident In Atlanta, Georgia
Both you and the responsible insurance company will need to resolve these issues and make decisions about the car as soon as possible after the accident. As soon as your vehicle reaches the tow yard, storage fees will begin to accrue. If you are unable to make decisions about your car due to injuries, you will need the help of someone else you can trust.
- Who Is Responsible For The Vehicle Damage: The first question to answer is whether you, your insurance company or another driver's insurance company is responsible for the property damage and the costs of towing and storage. If the accident was your fault and you carry property damage insurance which covers damage to your own car, then you can make a claim for the property damage under your policy. If you chose not to have this property damage coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, then you are personally responsible for the damage. If the accident was another person's fault, that person's auto insurance will be responsible. If he/she did not have insurance or enough insurance, then you can make a claim under your uninsured motor coverage on your own insurance policy.
- Should The Car Be Repaired Or Totaled: The responsible insurance company will quickly have an estimate of the damage prepared. If the cost of the repair is as much or more than the market value of the vehicle at the time of the accident, then the insurance company can "total" the vehicle and pay you the market value of the vehicle at the time of the accident. If the cost of repair is close to the market value, there may be room for negotiation if you want to keep the vehicle. A joint decision that the vehicle should be repaired will mean you must have the car moved to the repair shop as soon as possible to avoid being charged storage fees.
- Moving The Vehicle From The Tow Yard: At the time the insurance company decides to "total" the car, it will want immediate possession and title to the car so that it can be moved to one of its' own storage lots to stop accrual of storage fees. You may be responsible for getting a written impound release from the police department which ordered the auto towed from the scene of the accident. You can provide your own release if you had the car towed from the scene.
- Is There A Loan On The Vehicle?: If there is a loan on the vehicle and the vehicle is "totaled", the responsible insurance company will be sending its check for the value of the car directly to the lienholder. You will want to continue making your loan payments as scheduled so that you do not go into default. Any outstanding balance remaining on the loan after the insurance payment is applied will be your responsibility unless you had purchased "gap insurance" before the accident to cover that potential difference between loan balance and market value at the time of the accident.
- How A Personal Injury Attorney Can Assist?: If you are not certain of what to do after an accident, the safest course is to consult with an Atlanta, Georgia accident injury attorney as soon as possible. Contact the Law Office Of Sidney Weinstein, 24/7, for a free accident and personal injury consultation by calling 404-522-3108. We can come to you at your home or any of the Atlanta, Georgia area hospitals including Grady Memorial Hospital and Atlanta Medical Center.